Rules and Regulations
Revised July 18, 2023
The following rules are hereby established concerning the use of the Louis P. Gartner Recreation Area, dba Idle Hour Lakes. This policy shall be in full force and effective on July 18, 2023.
- Pets must be kept on a leash and the owners are responsible for cleaning up after their pets and properly disposing of the waste. Absolutely no pens may be erected, except for a temporary, foldable, collapsible pen 4’x4’ or less in size. The pen must be removed when not in use.
- No wood is to be cut or used without permission, except wood, branches, and limbs which have fallen and or loose on the ground. Campfires must be extinguished by the person(s) starting the fire prior to leaving the campsite. It shall be unlawful for any person, except duly authorized city employees, to take, injure, or disturb any live tree, plant, shrub, or flower, or otherwise interfere with the natural state of city property – recreation area. There shall be no digging or planting of any vegetation without consent of the Altamont Governing Body.
- All motorized vehicles must be operated on roads only. Vehicles may not be parked in any place that blocks or impedes
- No camper may be left for more than 60 days at a time. If the camper would like to request a longer stay, they may do so from the Altamont Governing Body at a regularly scheduled council meeting. Council meetings are held the 2nd and 4th Thursdays at 7:00 p.m. at 407 S Huston Ave, Altamont, KS unless otherwise posted.
- Campsites number 1, 9, 19 and 20 are for short-term camping only with a maximum 14 day stay. After 14 days, the camper doesn’t have to leave the park only move to a different campsite.
- Camping and Shelter Prices
- RV Campsite charge: $15 per night (includes electric, water, sewer, and Wi-Fi)
- Primitive Camping: Free (no access to campsite utilities)
- Shelter charge: $15 per day (includes electric); if a camping group utilizes 5 or more RV campsites they may use the shelter at no charge if the shelter is not already reserved by another party.
A notice of 48 hours must be given for cancellation of camping for full refund; if less than 48 hours’ notice is given, only half refund will be returned.
- The speed limit in the Louis P. Gartner Recreation Area and Idle Hour Lakes is 15 miles per hour.
- Quiet time will be from 10 p.m. until 8 a.m. Please do not leave your generators running during this time.
- The official time for payment begins at 6:00 p.m. each day.
- A dump station is available at the Louis P. Gartner Recreation area located at the north entrance drive.
- No trash shall be left at the campsites. Place all trash in the dumpster located at the north or south camping areas.
- Payments and reservations may be made at:
Monday thru Thursday from 7:30 a.m. to 5 p.m. & Friday 7:30 a.m. to 1:30 p.m.
Altamont City Office
407 S Huston Ave
Altamont, KS 67330
After hours, weekends, and holidays
Altamont Police Department
- No bulk water is to be used by anyone unless they are camping. Bulk water is limited to filling RV water storage only.
- The City may post such rules and regulations, as are approved by the Governing Body, pertaining to the use of the Louis P. Gartner Recreation Area and Idle Hour Lakes in a conspicuous place in the park. Actions in conflict with these posted rules shall constitute a violation and fines may apply and/or being banned from the park.
- This area is patrolled by the Altamont City Police Department and any other authorized law enforcement agency.
- The City of Altamont is not responsible for accidents, incidents, loss, injuries, theft of property, etc.
Fishing Regulations for the Altamont City Lakes:
Maximum of 5 per day. 13” – 18” slot.
Maximum of 5 per day. 15” minimum.
Maximum of 50 per day.
Only State Fishing License Required – No Local Fee.
Game Warden: Jared Eaton (620) 431-8904
State Fishing Licenses are available:
The Corner Store
1107 E 4th St,
Altamont, KS 67330